Search This Blog

Tuesday, 26 July 2016

Anxiety and I


Today blog post is a bit of a personal one, I wrote this draft and read it over and over and now finally have the confidence to post it. You see I am not very good at talking about personal things, with anyone. I tend to keep them bottled up and let them fester. Recently I have been writing my thoughts down in a diary, just for myself but even writing them down helps, so I thought why not write them on here.
I suffer with anxiety, now some people will totally relate to this and some people will be thinking 'oh just anxiety, lots of people have that' which is true but it doesn't mean it isn't different for every person and how it effects their lives. To certain people I must seem like a confident person, I put on a brave face, and know how to have fun but underneath there is always fear. Fear that people aren't going to like me, fear that people talk about me behind my back, fear that something bad is going to happen, fear of being alone. These feelings aren't always there but when they are, they are powerful and take over my whole thought process.
Recently I have been trying to deal with my anxiety and face it head on instead of hiding it away/pretending it isn't there. The last few months I have definitely felt less anxious and more positive about life in general, I thought I would share some of the things that have helped me the last few months:

1. Writing them down - As mentioned above, I have wrote the thoughts down on paper, sometimes just seeing what I have wrote has made them seem like silly thoughts to have and I have been able to laugh them off. But just having them out of my head, seems to make a difference.

2. Talking - this seems like an obvious suggestion but to most people who suffer with anxiety it's actually incredibly hard to admit to someone else how you feel. Lately every time I have felt anxious about something or even just had anxious thoughts I have told J about them and he has helped to make me feel better.

3.Distraction - If I am having a day where I seem to feel a lot more anxious then usual or have a lot more anxious thoughts I find the only way to overcome this is to distract myself. I tend to stick on a favorite film, my favorite music or read a book I love,

The main thing to realize is you are not alone, there are lots of people out there who feel the same way. You are perfect the way you are, so embrace it and try to live your life the best way you can.

2 comments:

  1. It's so good that you have opened up about this! Too many people think that anxiety is something that isn't 'serious' enough to be worried about because it's not a physical problem like breaking a leg or something. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health though so please take care! The 3 ways you've mentioned above sound very helpful!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, I know people seems to push it aside as though it isn't a big deal but it is! It has definitley helped by just talking about it x

    ReplyDelete